Sunday, April 29, 2007

Life in a small town

I had the privilege last night of saying the Invocation at our prom banquet. I wasn't really sure what to say, or what they were expecting. As it turned out...neither did they! I was at first asked to open and welcome everyone. Just as I was about to do that, the faculty member sitting across from me said, "Wait, the senior class president is supposed to open this up!" I sat back down while he went to the class president and reminded her of her duty. It was funny...then it took her several uncomfortable (for the rest of us) minutes to gather her thoughts. I'm sure most of the people in the room were wondering what my problem was!

She finally stood and did a very nice job thanking the volunteers, welcoming everyone and introducing me. I prayed a prayer I had written for the occasion and sat back down and enjoyed the rest of the evening.

It struck me as I was observing the event how precious the banquet was. It was so simple. The parents had spent the day decorating and preparing the food. The kids had spent the day preparing for the dance. I think every Junior and every Senior attended - even if they didn't have a date. Following the banquet the young people went to the nursing home and "promenaded" through the halls so the Seniors Citizens living there felt a part of this community event.

It was a very good evening....in the heartland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home